I got an email from someone who was interested in how I’m running Texas Method (TM):
I enjoy your blog and I was going through your log to “reverse engineer” your custom TM.
- Can you give more details on the weight progression and the rep scheme?
- Also, don’t you feel drained after the volume squat? That’s the issue I had with vanilla TM, I was dying after the squat and the volume on pressing was not as productive as it could be if I was fresher (e.g. the next day). I would be interested to know your opinion on splitting TM (volume upper/volume lower/intensity upper/intensity lower).
Glad you enjoy my blog! And I'm flattered that you're reverse engineering what I'm doing haha.
To answer your questions:
1. For weight progression, currently I am increasing by 2.5 lb weekly. It used to be 5 lb, but I've lowered it to 2.5 lb for all lifts. It’s more manageable, and I probably won’t hit any plateaus anytime soon.
If I’m trying to hit a PR, it might be 5 lb or more.
For rep schemes:
Volume Day (Monday):
Total of 30 reps of squats. I’ve done 5x5 and 10x3 previously. Right now it’s:
- Low bar squat: 5x3
- High bar squat: 3x5
- Bench press: 5x5
Recovery Day (Wednesday):
- Some sort of squat: 2x5
- OHP: work up to a heavy single, then back off sets. Usually 3,5, up to 10 reps.
Intensity Day (Friday):
- Low bar squat: 1x3
- High bar squat: 1x5
- Bench press: 3x3
- Deadlift: 2x3
Sometimes it varies a bit, but that's generally it. I’m thinking about trying out Zercher squats on recovery day, because doing lighter squats are a bit boring.
I do not alternate bench presses and overhead presses like in the standard Texas Method template.
2. Yes, I feel drained after volume squats. I like that feeling actually. If I'm not breathing heavy in between sets and a little bit fearful of my next set, then it doesn't feel right (for volume day squats that is).
Doing volume squats will affect anything after it, but I find that I catch my breath after a few warm up sets of my next exercise.
These days I do not perform OHP on volume days. I do them on recovery day only and bench press twice a week. This has been working well as I am getting stronger in both lifts.
I've read of people doing splits with TM (in 70sbig.com Texas Method ebooks I believe). I’ve never tried it myself though, but it looks like it could work well. Try it out!