I'm feeling a lot weaker since coming back to Canada. It's probably a combination of jet lag, eating less (lost about 3lbs already), and inconsistent sleep (sometimes I would sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon, wake up and eat, and then sleep for 3 more hours before I wake up again).
And since it's my first week of training, and I haven't settled down at a gym yet. I tried out Goodlife Fitness with my brother this week. It's alright, however there's only 1 squat rack and 1 power rack, which seems to be in use all the time. The men's washroom is quite tiny as well...there's only 1 sink from what I saw.
Going to try out Columbia Lake Health Club next week. I really hope they have squat racks and power racks that nobody uses!
Anyway, check out these articles worth reading from the strength training blogosphere this week:
- Lee Hayward examines high repetitions to build muscle. I've heard good things about the 20 rep squat program (you might even see Jesus)
- Charles Poliquin explains how to get bigger traps and prevent neck pain by strengthening the much neglected neck muscles
- Poliquin also gives me some good reasons to start adding power snatch & front squats to my workout
- An article on Fitjerk's website shows 7 exercises that are a waste of your time (and some good alternatives)
- Chad Waterbury explains 3 ways to improve your pull-up performance (IMO pull-ups/chin-ups are a staple upper body exercise that should be in everyone's program)
Keep lifting, keep progressing & have a great weekend!